The sound of the drill, the sterile smell, and so many of the sights and sensory stimulation of the typical dental experience contribute to the 100 million Americans forgoing dental visits each year, according to the American Dental Association. In an effort to create a more extraordinary dental experience, Martin Management founder Jessica Martin assists offices in becoming a dental spa, a place that pairs what people want (pampering and decreased dental anxiety) with what people need. Here are a few simple tips to get your office started on the dental spa approach!
1. Diffuse essential oils – Diffusing oils in your waiting room and treatment rooms is not only calming to the senses, but it can reduce or eliminate that dreaded odor of teeth that is typical of the dental experience.
2. Provide entertainment – Whether you have TVs in your treatment rooms, offer music, or provide videos on a tablet, using these to distract the patient can be helpful in reducing anxious feelings and help the time go by much more quickly.
3. De-clutter and consider decor – Clutter can have a huge impact on how we feel. We feel more scattered when clutter fills the space, and visually, clutter can be overstimulating for the patient. Additionally, build spa elements into your decor and make sure you have only necessary items on counters.
4. Offer a heated neck wrap – A warm neck wrap helps the patient’s shoulders to relax and is calming for the senses. It provides that pampering feel while also calming any nerves.
5. Prepare a hot towel – Ending the appointment with a hot towel for the patient to wipe their hands or face wraps up the experience with that spa feel.
These tips are just the tip of the iceberg! There are countless ways you can provide a pampering environment for your patients which attracts a higher-end clientele, and also bring in those patients with large and small amounts of dental anxiety. Being a dental spa and accommodating the triggers that cause dental anxiety will make your office THE office to go to in your community. This approach truly helps offices differentiate themselves and has quadrupled new patient numbers at Martin’s Wisconsin-based dental practice.
There are systems and strategies that can assist your office in tailoring each patient’s experience so that each visit is extraordinary – all in just a few extra minutes of preparation! To learn how to transform your office into a dental spa, work with dental spa consultant Jessica Martin of Martin Management – www.martinmanagementllc.com.
Martin Management is a dental consulting firm that helps dental offices transform their practice into a dental spa and soothe patient fears while offering spa-like amenities and significantly growing their practice.