Not every client I meet is ready to dive all in to adopt the dental spa approach.
While there are obvious benefits to going the whole way to address patient comfort, there are a number of simple, cost effective things that can be put in place for any office!
1. Reduce clutter. Clutter creates visual chaos which does not elicit calm feelings. Contain clutter as much as possible, use matching organizers when items cannot be completely hidden. Your office will BE more organized, and it will look more inviting and upscale.
2. Colors. Colors are very impactful on mood and are a simple way to play with the feeling of your office. Use neutral colors in decorations and paint walls in neutral colors. For the most cohesive look, stay within the same paint swatch. For a more subtle look choose the lightest color on the swatch and when wanting a more dramatic, darker look for certain areas of your office, choose one of the darker colors on the same swatch. This will ensure that the colors are within the same palette.
3. Add candles! They sell some great battery operated candles that can provide the ambiance of a lit candle without the danger.
4. Music matters. It’s great to let your patient choose what they’d like to listen to in the dental chair but by default, a classical/acoustic station creates a calm and luxurious atmosphere. In common areas such as reception, hallways, etc. this music can create a nice feel. I also love “meditation music” on Alexa. 🙂
5. Lighting. It is not expensive to have lights on dimmer switches, which can create a quieter mood. This can be especially impactful in treatment rooms where people tend to be the most anxious. Providers can utilize the light on their loops or above the chair to see what they need to in the mouth while the patient relaxes in a dimmer lit room. Having lamps in the waiting area provides a warmer light as well.
6. Utilize plants and greenery. Wherever you can put either live or faux plants, it will put the patient more in touch with nature. Live plants can help freshen the air along with being beautiful. Even faux plants have a grounding impact without the maintenance.
Martin Management is a dental consulting firm that helps dental offices transform their practice into a dental spa and soothe patient fears while offering spa-like amenities and significantly growing their practice.